We’ve all been there. Work is twenty minutes away. You need to be there in ten, but you overslept a little bit. You get to your car and you’re about to pull out of your spot, but you left your cell phone in the house. So you run inside to get it, but when you get back to the car you gasp as you realize the doors are all locked.
Here’s another scenario: It’s raining. You had a long day at work and you’re hungry. You get home, hop out of your car and run to your front door, but it’s locked. Frantically, you turn through every key on your keyring, searching for the one that will end the torture – to no avail.
A person’s process for going in and out of cars and homes transcends routine. These are second nature; we don’t think as we move through these motions. So when we’re running late, or when we’re anxious to leave a place, it’s easy to forget something or miss a step.
Here at McCausland Lock Service, we know how frustrating it can be to get locked out of some place you need immediate access to. So, we made this list of easy preventative measures you can take to make sure you don’t find yourself on the outside looking in.
- Keep a spare in your wallet or purse. Sounds obvious, right? But if you lock your keys in the car and the spare is in the house, but your house is locked, and the key to the house is on the keyring that’s locked in the car, you’ll be in quite a pickle.
- Use an oversized keychain or a lanyard. This is especially helpful if you’re prone to locking your keys in the car. Chances are that something like a lanyard or a distinctive, oversized keychain will make it impossible to lock your keys in the car ever again because it will be touching you.
- Mark the door handle or knob. In your car, put a piece of tape around the door handle, that way every time you touch it, you’ll remember to not forget your keys. In your house, leave a little note on the front door for the same effect.
- Lock your doors from the outside. This might be a tough habit to start, but practice makes perfect.
- Think about what you’re doing. That’s right, go against your nature and put your mind on the task at hand as you leave a place. Make it a point to say to yourself, “Don’t forget the keys. Lock the door from the outside.”
If all else fails, you can always call us here at McCausland Lock Service. Our expert technicians are available 24/7 to get you into your house or car, should you find yourself locked out.